INSTAGRAM influencer, Johnna Holmgren, had her cookbook recalled by her publisher due to potentially dangerous recipes. As with any book; reviews were monitored and some reviewers noted how some of the recipes could be a bit dangerous if done improperly.
Holmgren’s book was Tales From a Forager’s Kitchen, a cookbook filled with recipes involving mushrooms, flowers, and berries. A recipe within the book, referred to as “Dark Chocolate Dipped Fungi” includes broadly put; Morel mushrooms. The book instructs you to brush and wash the mushrooms then dip them in chocolate and freeze them. This, however, can be dangerous as they have a lookalike that is poisonous and can cause dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.
On her website, Holmgren makes a clarification about what she aims to do: While I strive to be 100% accurate, it is solely up to the reader to ensure proper plant identification. Some wild plants are poisonous or can have serious adverse health effects. I am not a health professional, medical doctor, nor a nutritionist. It is up to the reader to verify nutritional information and health benefits with qualified professionals for all edible plants listed in this web site and any published content.
Tales From a Forager’s Kitchen was mutually recalled between the influencer and Rodale Books’ parent company, Crown Publishing.